Diabetes and Pregnancy
- David R McCance
- Regional Centre for Endocrinology and Diabetes Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast, BT12 6BA
- 02890 633430
- Host Institution
- Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast
The research group will develop clinical and translational studies seeking to the optimise the outcome of pregnant women with pre existing (type 1 and type 2) and gestational diabetes. The group will combine physicians and obstetricians with an established record in diabetic pregnancy and builds on ongoing collaborations between them. Participants will be drawn from the diabetes and obstetric communities and also include user-groups representation.
- What are the best management strategies to improve pre-pregnancy care in type 1 and type 2 diabetes?
- How can the management of pre-gestational diabetes be improved during pregnancy including use of structured education, insulin pumps and insulin analogues?
- Can the rates of stillbirth and perinatal mortality be reduced particularly by novel strategies to detect fetal compromise?
- What is the role of oral hypoglycaemic drugs in the management of type 2 diabetes preceding pregnancy?
- What is the most cost-effective way of delaying type 2 diabetes in women with previous GDM?
- David R McCance - Consultant Physician
- Robert Fraser - Reader in Reproductive and Developmental Medicine University of Sheffield and Honorary Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
- Anne Dornhorst - Consultant Physician & Honorary Senior Lecturer of Metabolic Medicine
- Michael Maresh - Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist
- Robert Lindsay - Clinical Senior Lecturer in Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Donald Pearson - Lead Clinician for Diabetes in Scotland and Chair of the Scottish Diabetes Group.